Valentine's Day Activities for Toddlers that Cost Less than $5
Valentine's Day is THIS Sunday! With two itty bitty babes at home, it's easy to get into the spirit of ALL things holiday. It's also all too easy to go crazy and overspend, over gift, and over indulge unnecessarily. I admit I did get the girls a little something to open, which I did not do in the past, but they are things that will be worn and used well past the Heart Day expiration. I decided to brainstorm a few other ways I could make this weekend fun and special with my sweethearts without feeling guilty about spending money, and also feel great! Saint Valentine, cupid's arrow, X's and O's, kisses, those are all nice, but the most important takeaway from this holiday is showing appreciation to those we love and care about, acts of kindness and love and giving and sharing our love. Off the list, free, and plenty to go around, smiles and hugs. Heart day makes us happy! I am excited and surprised by my own brainstorm below! Now which things to do...
- Make pancakes and put red berries on top. (Just need these ingredients.) OR, if you don't feel like cooking, head to a donut shop for festive treats!
- Cutting Paper Hearts (Don't have to have red or pink paper? Use crayons, colored pencils or markers on any paper you have at home.)
- Paint your nails red or pink. (Don't have either, pick up a bottle of Sinful Colors polish from your local drugstore for $2.)
- Get cherry dipped cones from Dairy Queen OR try this red velvet cake blizzard! Or perhaps pink or red fruit smoothies made at home or a special trip to Jamba Juice or smoothie shop.
- Listen to love songs on Pandora, or other music channel, and dance around for a bit.
- Do a scavenger hunt around the house, yard or park for Hershey chocolate kisses! (Get a bag for around $3)
- Have a tea party with pink lemonade. (About $2-$5 for a bottle.)
- Get a sheet of heart stickers from the Dollar Store and let them go crazy.
- Do something GREAT for your hearts and go for a walk, a stroll, or a bike ride. Tie a red balloon or foil heart balloon on for fun and have fun getting the family dressed in any red and pink they have. (Balloons from Dollar Store.)
- Pull out the finger paint and recreate Robert Indiana's iconic LOVE sign.
- Now with those paper hearts you cut out earlier, add some googly eyes and pipe cleaners and make ladybug Valentine's! These butterflies with M&M's were pretty darn cute too! (Eyes and pipe cleaners at Dollar Store in bulk.)
- Give some love to less fortunate by going through your closets and toy bins and choosing something to donate. We are surrounded by donation bins in our neighborhood, or you can drive them to an Arc or Goodwill.
- Check out a fun book from the library like Love Monster and the Last Chocolate or I Love You Already (If you have a little extra, buy them for keeps for their bookshelf!)
- FaceTime or call grandparents. This should be number one.
What are you all doing special with your sweeties this weekend?
Have a happy Valentine's Day, and a NICE, LONG weekend with President's Day on Monday!